History of Whitehall
In the late 1700's, the area upon which the City
In 1820, a 156-acre tract in the township was transferred, by decree of President James Monroe, to John Long. He and his wife, Elizabeth, transferred the land in 1821 to John M. Walcutt and his wife, Marilla, who in turn transferred it to George Spencer in 1836, for the sum of $5,000. The transfer document calls the parcel "White Hall, and occupied by J. M. Walcutt." It appears to be the first reference to the area as White Hall. The reason for its naming, however, is unknown. The farm's house is said to have served travelers and merchants on the National Road as an inn and tavern. Names of subsequent owners were Brotherton, Wilson, Brockway, Doney
Whitehall Becomes a Village
Gradually, the community grew until its incorporation as a village in 1947. That same year, Town & Country, the nation’s first regional shopping center, opened in Whitehall.
After World War II, the demand for housing by returning veterans gave rise to residential construction, which includes the twin singles and townhouses of English Village and Parklawn manor and the single-family prefabricated homes in the Norton Field subdivision. These solidly built units, now over 63 years old, have proven to be extremely serviceable and remain affordable for many young, hardworking families.
In the early 1950s, Whitehall was the nation’s fastest growing city. Overall, population jumped from 4,077 in 1950 to 20,818 in 1960. Today, population has leveled at approximately 19,214.