Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste Collection
The City contracts with Local Waste Services to collect garbage, recycling, yard waste and small tree limbs from the community. Please note if you live in an apartment or condominium complex, your hauler and service levels may be different. Please contact your landlord or property manager for more information.
General Collection Guidelines
Collection Day: All homes in Whitehall are collected on Wednesday
Report Missed Collection: (614) 409-9375
- Cart/Can Placement: Please bring your garbage, recycling and yard waste to the curb prior to sundown on Tuesday.
- Cart/Can Type: For curbside garbage and recycling, residents must use the new standardized garbage and recycling carts provided by the City. Yard waste and one bulk item weekly main remain outside the new carts. Yard waste should be placed in a clearly marked container or a paper yard waste bag (available at most home improvement stores). Yard waste stickers are available at City Hall free-of-charge. To order a new cart or switch cart sizes, call the Service Department at (614) 237-8612.
- Bulk Items: One bulk item may be set out each week with normal collection, or as part of unlimited collection days (May 5, July 7, October 6 and December 29, 2021). Accepted items include furniture and small appliances. Unaccepted items include construction debris, refrigerators/freezers and household hazardous waste. There is no need to call ahead for bulk item removal.
- Changing Cart Sizes or Ordering Additional Carts: The City will allow one garbage cart size change during the first 90-days of the new program. Should you like to change garbage cart sizes or order a second garbage or recycling cart, please call the Service Department at (614) 237-8612. Changes in fees may apply.
Collection Day: Wednesdays
Recycling in Franklin County is processed by the Solid Waste Agency of Central Ohio (SWACO), and Whitehall's recycling specifically is taking to a facility operated by Rumpke. Rumpke operates a single-stream recycling facility, meaning that you can mix your recyclables prior to collection. Please place items loosely in your bin (do not bag or bundle). Learn more about what can and cannot be recycling in Franklin County below, or from Recycle Right.
|Acceptable Items:||Unacceptable Items:|
Yard Waste Collection
Collection Day: Wednesdays
The City’s yard waste collection procedures are not changing under the new program. To participate, place your yard waste in a clearly labeled container or a paper yard waste bag (available at home improvement stores) for collection. Branches may also be bundled. “Yard Waste Only” stickers are available free-of-charge from the Service Department at City Hall (360 S. Yearling Road).
Brush and Tree Limb Collection
In addition to household trash and recyclables, Local Waste Services picks up brush, tree limbs and other yard waste every trash collection day of the year. To participate, please the following is required:
- Tree limbs and brush must be cut in lengths no longer than 4 feet
- Tied with twine into manageable bundles, no more than 2 feet in diameter
- Placed at the curb where your other trash is placed
- City Chipper: The City will pick up brush and tree limbs not accepted by Local Waste Services as manpower allows. Thorns and dead brush must be removed. Logs or stumps larger than 14 inches in diameter or longer than 3 feet cannot be picked up by City forces. Any logs or stumps, which do not conform to these requirements, must be removed by a private hauler or must be cut or split to meet these standards.
Please note: If a tree service is hired to trim or cut down a tree, the property owner is solely responsible for that removal. Whole trees cut down either by the resident or by a tree service will not be removed by the City.
Unlimited Collection Days
2021 Unlimited Collection Days: May 5, July 7, October 6, December 29
The City also encourages residents to consider how to recycle, donate or otherwise reuse your unwanted items before sending them to the landfill. Not sure of what to do with your items? The Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO) has a comprehensive Recycle and Reuse Search Tool, available here >>
- Small appliances
- Scrap tires (off rims)
- Tree limbs/brush (as described above)
- Air conditioners
- Hazardous waste
- Construction debris (Exception: We will pick up building materials during Spring Clean-Up once all nails are removed, and the pieces are cut or broken up into sizes that will fit into a trash can, sturdy box or garbage bag. If you are disposing of carpeting, we request that you please cut and bundle your carpeting/padding into manageable 4-foot lengths for easier removal.)
Current Hauling Fees
Households pay Local Waste Services directly for curbside collection services. Local Waste Services charges a monthly hauling fee (based on garbage cart size), which is billed quarterly (every three months) with a quarterly billing and administrative fees added. The monthly hauling fee includes garbage, recycling, yard waste and bulk item collection.
Quarterly Bill Breakdown
|Garbage Cart Size||Monthly Hauling Fee||Quarterly Billing Fee||Quarterly Admin Fee||Total Quarterly Bill|
Seniors over the age of 60 qualify for a discount of 10% off the monthly rate. To apply for a Senior Discount, please contact Local Waste Services directly at (614) 409-9375.
Fees for Additional Carts
To order a second cart call the Service Department at (614) 237-8612
As part of the City's new program, each household was provided one garbage and one recycling cart free-of-charge. Should your household need additional garbage or recycling volume, additional carts may be ordered for a one-time charge of $50 in addition to a monthly hauling fee increase of $2/month per additional cart. Note that to qualify for a second 95-gallon garbage cart, a resident must already have a 95-gallon garbage cart for their primary service.