Garbage, Recycling and Yard Waste Collection
The City contracts with Local Waste Services to collect garbage, recycling, yard waste and small tree limbs from the community. Please note if you live in an apartment or condominium complex, your hauler and service levels may be different. Please contact your landlord or property manager for more information.
General Collection Guidelines
Collection Day: All homes in Whitehall are collected on Wednesday
Report Missed Collection: (614) 409-9375
- Cart/Can Placement: Please bring your garbage, recycling and yard waste to the curb prior to sundown on Tuesday. Cart lids must close.
- Cart/Can Type: For curbside garbage and recycling, residents must use City issued garbage and recycling carts. Yard waste should be placed in a clearly marked container or a paper yard waste bag (available at most home improvement stores). Yard waste stickers are available at City Hall free-of-charge.
- Changing Garbage Cart Size: Residents are welcome to switch their garbage cart size once a year (changes in collection fees paid to Local Waste apply). 95-gallon, 65-gallon and 35-gallon garbage carts are available. All recycling carts are 65-gallons. To switch your garbage cart size, call the Service Department at (614) 237-8612.
- Adding a Second Cart: Second garbage / recycling carts come with a one-time $75 fee, paid to the City of Whitehall, and a $2 / month increase in collection fees, paid to Local Waste Services. To order a second garbage cart, you must already have a 95-gallon garbage cart, or you will be asked to upsize. To order your second cart, call the Service Department at (
- Replacing Missing / Stolen Carts: The City will replace missing / stolen garbage and recycling carts for a one-time $30 fee. Call (614) 237-8612 to order your replacement cart.
- Bulk Items: One bulk item may be set out each week with normal collection. Bulk items may also be set out as part of Unlimited Collection Days (May 4, July 6, October 5 and December 28, 2022). See details of bulk collection below.
- Accepted items include furniture and small appliances. Upholstered items (mattresses, box springs, sofas, etc.) must be covered in plastic.
- Unaccepted items include construction debris, refrigerators/freezers and household hazardous waste. Extra bags of garbage do not qualify as bulk items.
- Scheduling Special Collections: If you only have one bulk item for the week, there is no need to call ahead for removal. If you have more than one bulk item, or extra trash, Local Waste Services offers special collections for a small fee. Snap a photo and send it to Local Waste Services (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a personalized quote. If you don't have a camera or email, call Local Waste Services at (614) 409-9375. To have your extra items collected on Wednesday, contact Local Waste Services no later than 3 p.m. on Tuesday.
Collection Day: Wednesdays
Recycling in Franklin County is processed by the Solid Waste Agency of Central Ohio (SWACO), and Whitehall's recycling specifically is taking to a facility operated by Rumpke. Rumpke operates a single-stream recycling facility, meaning that you can mix your recyclables prior to collection. Please place items loosely in your bin (do not bag or bundle). Learn more about what can and cannot be recycling in Franklin County below, or from Recycle Right.
|Acceptable Items:||Unacceptable Items:|
Yard Waste Collection
Collection Day: Wednesdays
The City’s yard waste collection procedures are not changing under the new program. To participate, place your yard waste in a clearly labeled container or a paper yard waste bag (available at home improvement stores) for collection. Branches may also be bundled. “Yard Waste Only” stickers are available free-of-charge from the Service Department at City Hall (360 S. Yearling Road).
Brush and Tree Limb Collection
In addition to household trash and recyclables, Local Waste Services picks up brush, tree limbs and other yard waste every trash collection day of the year from April to October. To participate, please the following is required:
- Tree limbs and brush must be cut in lengths no longer than 4 feet
- Tied with twine into manageable bundles, no more than 2 feet in diameter
- Placed at the curb where your other trash is placed
- City Chipper: The City will pick up brush and tree limbs not accepted by Local Waste Services as manpower allows. Thorns and dead brush must be removed. Logs or stumps larger than 14 inches in diameter or longer than 3 feet cannot be picked up by City forces. Any logs or stumps, which do not conform to these requirements, must be removed by a private hauler or must be cut or split to meet these standards.
2022 Brush Collection Dates:
|April 25||May 9||May 23||June 6|
|June 20||July 5||July 18||August 1|
|August 15||August 29||September 12||September 16|
Please note: If a tree service is hired to trim or cut down a tree, the property owner is solely responsible for that removal. Whole trees cut down either by the resident or by a tree service will not be removed by the City.
Unlimited Collection Days
2022 Unlimited Collection Days: May 4, July 6, October 5, December 28
How to Participate
To participate, place your bulk items and extra garbage to the curb by sundown on the Tuesday before the collection day. Any loose items should be placed inside additional garbage bags. We do not recommend placing loose items inside cardboard boxes, as they break/tear when wet. Please do not stack items (for the safety of drivers, pedestrians and garbage crews). Rather arrange your items in a row or group next to the curb.
- Furniture (Upholstered items and mattresses/box springs must be wrapped in plastic)
- Small appliances
- Tree limbs/brush (as described above)
- Whole house/moving set-outs
- Air conditioners
- Hazardous waste
- Construction debris
- Scrap tires (off rims)
Current Hauling Fees
Households pay Local Waste Services directly for curbside collection services. Local Waste Services charges a monthly hauling fee (based on garbage cart size), which is billed quarterly (every three months) with a quarterly billing and administrative fees added. The monthly hauling fee includes garbage, recycling, yard waste and bulk item collection.
Quarterly Bill Breakdown
|Garbage Cart Size||Monthly Hauling Fee||Quarterly Billing Fee||Quarterly Admin Fee||Total Quarterly Bill|
Seniors over the age of 60 qualify for a discount of 10% off the monthly rate. To apply for a Senior Discount, please contact Local Waste Services directly at (614) 409-9375.
Fees for Additional Carts
To order a second cart call the Service Department at (614) 237-8612
As part of the City's new program, each household was provided one garbage and one recycling cart free-of-charge. Should your household need additional garbage or recycling volume, additional carts may be ordered for a one-time charge of $50 in addition to a monthly hauling fee increase of $2/month per additional cart. Note that to qualify for a second 95-gallon garbage cart, a resident must already have a 95-gallon garbage cart for their primary service.